Sunday 19 January 2014

Holmbury Hill - Surrey Hills 19th January 2014

I'd originally planned on riding yesterday morning, but it looked horrible out. The weather looked much nicer today, so a quick change of plans saw me having a lay in yesterday and heading to the Surrey Hills today.

The other reason for this was the Monthly Lotus meet at Newlands corner, only just down the road from Holmbury Hill, was also on Sunday, it seemed sensible to combine the two, even if it meant I would have to attend a Lotus meet in the Yeti.



140119 newlands corner from mark holttum on Vimeo.

Having had a chat and filled my face with Burger, I headed on over to the trails.


I've only ridden a Holmbury Hill once and didn't take in all the good bits, so I was keen to find all the well know trails.

On the list was:

Yogurt Pots

Reservoir Dogs

Barry Knows Best

and

Telegraph Row

So I came prepared armed with written instructions on how to find the trails, courtesy of Diary of a Mountainbiker , now I have to admit that I'm not great at finding the correct routes, some people have an inbuilt compass, but if I do it's a broken one. I found the car park and the top of the hill ok. I then managed to find Yogurt pots. What a great section of trail that is, very glad I managed to find that.

After this it went a bit wrong I think. I was after Reservoir Dogs next and I may have found it, or I may not have. It's hard to say really, as I don't know what it looks like. Not to worry, I found some nice trails and then thought I would try to find Barry Knows Best. Well I'm pretty sure I never found it, despite looking. I tried all the normal places, down the side of the settee, on the hall table and even in the man draw in the kitchen, but no luck. I'll have to try again another day.

I did find Telegraph Row, I've ridden this before and it's a good section of trail and surprisingly twisty and turny considering it follows a straight line of telegraph poles.

By this time I was a couple of hours into the ride and decided to head back in the general direction of the car park. Firstly though I had to find out which way the general direction was. I have several apps on the phone and My Trails came to the rescue. I'll see what I can do with the data as I mapped the ride.

In the end it was a 2 1/2 hour ride, I would have gone a bit further had I not slid off and banged up my knee. Nothing serious, just a bit painful.

Although wet and muddy, it was all ridable and pretty good considering the weather we've been having.




140119 holmbury hill.mp4 from mark holttum on Vimeo.


On the hunt for Barry Knows Best


Barry?


Barry, BARRY!



Given up for this time, I'll find you next time Barry, you can't hide forever.




I think the route tracking says it all. Only 9.5 miles as well




No comments:

Post a Comment